10 TIPS FOR LEAVING ANXIETY FOR FOOD
Hunger appears when there is a nutritional deficiency, that is, our body requires a series of nutrients and, at that time, we have provided a lower amount, which, therefore, asks us to eat more to meet their needs.
Sometimes we may experience a feeling of hunger that is not real, our body has all of its needs covered but even so, we get a “craving” or desire for some specific (usually unhealthy) food. This is known as “emotional hunger” or food anxiety. It is the product of an emotional problem, which can be caused by multiple causes such as boredom, stress, a family problem among others.
The problem of anxiety eating
Eating by anxiety is a problem since we usually eat in excess and we usually opt for superfluous foods, that is, they lack nutritional interest. That is why it should be controlled since this anxiety about food can lead to different health problems such as eating disorders, excess weight, or other conditions related to the habitual consumption of unhealthy products such as high triglycerides, Caries, etc.
You may also like to read: Get your energy back at work
If you think you are in a period of stress or sadness, which can lead you to a state of craving, it is very important that you identify with what kind of hunger you are dealing with. Once you have identified it when hunger is emotional, you should keep in mind these tips that can help you control it:
10 tips to avoid craving for food
- Look for a reward that is not related to food, that is, focus all your energy on other activities, such as reading, writing, watching a movie, going for a walk, swimming … The more you try to ignore the desire to eat for anxiety, The less it will cost you the next time.
- Stay hydrated: The sensation of thirst can be confused with hunger, so it is very important to stay well hydrated so that thirst does not create this need.
- Train the willpower: Identity what time of day you go and find another that anxiety healthier alternative. Eating by anxiety at a certain time of the day can be established as a habit, so it is important to identify it to be able to correct it.
- It is important to do activities that help you relax, such as meditating, breathing, yoga, etc. When it comes to food, it is important that you do not rush, take your time and be aware of what you do.
- It reduces the amount of sugar as it can cause addiction.
- It breaks the diet, eats every 3-4 hours to avoid starving. Satiety helps to avoid eating emotionally.
- Sleeping: Restless than it touches you can lead to a hormonal imbalance, affecting ghrelin and leptin, hormones involved in the feeling of hunger and satiety.
- Restrictive diets must be avoided since there is a greater desire to eat that particular food when there are forbidden foods. It is important not to deprive ourselves of the foods we like best since their prohibition can generate anxiety and, in a moment of weakness, end in binge eating. The ideal is to control quantities and learn when you touch and do not touch these foods in question, rather than restrict their consumption.
- Avoid the temptations: do not have at home those foods that are not suitable since it is the best way not to fall into the temptation to eat them. Ideally, leave them for special occasions such as dinners away from home, birthdays.
- Practice physical exercise, salt to run, bike, to walk, climb stairs … It will help you to be motivated to follow a healthy life and also is a great way to relax the mind.
With nutritional guidelines, you can try to control anxiety. Even so, there are situations where willpower is not enough and requires the intervention of a psychologist who drives and helps control this state.